Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission represents an original work that has not been published elsewhere nor submitted to another journal for publication;
- Upon manuscript acceptance by the editorial review team, authors are required to submit the publication fee (APC).
- The submission meets word length requirements for the manuscript type, which is all-inclusive of article text, references, tables, and figures;
- The submission indicates that the Institutional Review Board (IRB) human subjects approval was secured, or explains why it was not required;
- The submission includes a definition of 'international student' and cites current data on international student mobility;
- The submission cites current theoretical and empirically-based literature, including relevant articles published in the Journal of International Students;
- The submission reports sample size, population, confidence interval, and effect size, if applicable;
- The submission is written in language that is engaging, lively, and direct, using active voice whenever possible;
- The submission includes four to seven keywords;
- The submission includes a name, email, affiliation, and a brief bio statement for each author in the Title Page (with Author Details) in the format outlined in the Author Guidelines;
- The submission includes a Cover Letter that clearly articulates why the manuscript marks a new and demonstratively significant advancement in research and aligns with key elements of journal's Aim & Scope;
- The submission includes both Manuscript (with Author Details) and Manuscript (without Author Details) as two separate files;
- The submission includes no more than four tables and/or figures in total included within the manuscript;
- The submission adheres to APA 7 stylistic and bibliographic requirements; and
- All identifying information has been removed from all documents and file names.
- AI Tools Usage and Author Responsibility: "I have disclosed any use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools in the manuscript's Materials and Methods section and acknowledge full responsibility for the content's integrity and compliance with ethical standards, as per COPE guidelines and the Journal of International Students."
Research Articles (English)
Research Articles (4,500-7,500 words) submissions use quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods research to make a new and demonstratively significant advancement in under-researched aspects of the field related to topics outlined in the journal's Aims & Scope.
Research in Briefs (English)
"Research in Brief" section of the Journal of International Students is designed for concise analyses on specific topics or questions, using new or existing data sources. Articles should include a brief introduction, a discussion of the data, up to two figures/tables, a maximum of 10 references, and be within 2,000 words. Titles should be under 10 words, and an abstract of 120 words or less is required and manuscripts undergo standard peer review.
Multilingual Articles (Non-English)
We are committed to embracing linguistic diversity and inclusivity in academic discourse. Accordingly, JIS accepts manuscript submissions in multiple languages, including French, German, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese, and English. This policy encourages broader participation from researchers worldwide and facilitates knowledge-sharing across linguistic barriers. Submissions in languages other than English should adhere to the same rigorous standards of quality and scholarly merit and must include an abstract in English to ensure accessibility to a global audience. Our peer review process will be conducted in the language of the submission wherever possible, relying on the expertise of a multilingual editorial board and reviewer network. Research in brief length: 2,000 words (max), and empirical research article length: 7,500 words (max)
All published articles are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 Unported License.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.